This special initiative aims to create a thematic network for communication between a number of research groups in several Spanish universities working in the area of systems engineering and automation.
The research groups have considerable experience developing projects and sponsored research agreements and this experience has enabled them to independently advance in one or more of the fields and develop important links with companies.
However, despite the existing relationships between these groups and the dissemination of knowledge by the usual means (conferences, journals, etc.) this level of interaction is insufficient to avoid wasted time through simultaneous development work and the development of similar systems, tools, and technologies. In short, the aim is to generate a methodology that favors complementariness in the development of tools and technologies and avoids duplication.
It must be emphasised that in addition to communication between Spanish groups we are seeking interaction with overseas research groups that will assist in participating in projects within the 6th EU Framework Programme. Participating groups must be highly specialised in one of the following lines of research:
- Process modelling
- Process identification
- Model predictive control
- Fault tolerant control
- Complete plant control: control hierarchy
The participating research groups aim to exchange information in the following ways:
- Demonstrate progress in the development of tools (software) and technologies to other groups and make them available as a starting point to achieve coordination in future developments.
- Establish methods of dissemination of these advances and share experiences through:
- Meetings between group members (workshops).
- Creating a flexible and interactive website to improve information exchange.
- Generation of problem types (or benchmarks) for comparing methodologies.
- Joint document generation and publication of results.
- Find mechanisms to involve companies in studies and results, particularly in cooperation with companies specialising in process control (CEA-IFAC, ISA).
- Encourage the development of coordinated joint projects between universities and companies, particularly with respect to EU projects.